Updates! Now in convenient list format.

1. I did not, sadly, win National Novel Writing Month, or even get to participate as much as I wanted too. *endless sad face* But I DID write about 15k words and get a good start on a new project which makes me very happy. I can't tell you a lot about it, because I'm not sure it's going to grow up to be a book yet. But here is the first paragraph or so, if you're interested.

     They tell me that running is best done outside. They say it’s the wind in your face and the smell of the road and the scenery going by that makes running worthwhile.
     They are wrong.
     I take a deep breath and center myself, my feet pounding on the treadmill. The little screen attached to the top shows a running path in the fall, red and yellow and orange trees whirling by like brightly dressed ladies at a dance. There’s no wind and the only smell in the air is the smell of my own room, warm and dry, with a slight antiseptic tang underneath. My breathing and my feet sync as I run and for a moment, that’s my whole world, breath and muscle, body and bone. Everything else burns away, the knot in my chest loosens and for a moment, just the briefest of seconds, my mind is blank.
     This is what makes running worthwhile for me.
     Because it’s running away from myself.

2. There were a lot of reasons that I didn't get to write last month and one of them was moving. We moved to a smaller, cozier (and Lord be thanked, QUIETER) apartment. It was an awesome decision and I don't regret it, but it did mean WEEKS of sorting and packing and giving stuff away so we could fit into the new place. And those of you who are long-time blog readers will remember just how much I love moving. (hint: not at all)

But it's done and the new apartment feels more like home than the old one ever did. Also we got a giant new couch which our cat loves because it makes him invisible.

Do you see a cat? Look closer....

Cutest ferocious predator ever

3. Reason number two I didn't write was copyedits, which turned out to be due at the end of November. Copyedits and I do not have a happy history, but this time they were surprisingly uncomplicated and unstressful. Which was good because I was spending so much of my time packing.

But they are done now! And Empire of Shadows is off to the great publishing machine, where it will be spit out in Fall 2014. I might have an official date for you soon as well. (Yay!)

4. And finally, reason number three that I didn't get to Nano much. I was crafting.

Yep. I'm a crafter now. I do a thing called quilling, which is basically rolled strips of paper and glue. And I made stuff for people for Christmas presents and had a booth at a DIY craft fair and taught other people how to make stuff. It's a bit weird, but it does help manage the stress.

What did I make, you ask?  Well I made Christmas ornaments.



And also a bunch of other stuff that I can show you in a separate post if you're interested. :)

5. I still haven't given up on getting back to some sort of regular blogging schedule. I miss it. Maybe that will be my New Year's resolution! But regardless of whether or not I update again before the end of the year, I wish you and yours the happiest of holiday seasons. Have a snowflake.




6 comments:

  1. Quilling is so fun! That was one of the art projects we did in 7th and 8th grades at Christmas time: a tree, cross, and poinsettia. I like yours a lot, especially the beautiful snowflake!

    I'm glad things are going so well for you, Miriam. Enjoy your new apartment!!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW RIGHT?!?! I fell in love with quilling! It's just the sort of detail-oriented thing I love and it uses a totally different part of my brain than writing. Thanks for the well wishes, and happy reading and writing to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd rather drive railroad spikes into my eyes than have to move ever again .... but yay - congrats on less stuff and smaller comfy spaces!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygosh I feel you. I probably wouldn't have been so willing to do it if there hadn't been a construction site right outside our bedroom window. SO MUCH HAMMERING. HAMMERING FOR MONTHS. *cuddles small super-quiet apartment*

    ReplyDelete
  5. our apartment complex just sold. so we're expecting construction and gods know what all else. we moved in here five years ago, and i swore i wasn't leaving until they carried me out in a body bag ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I like this opening paragraph! I hope it does grow up to be a book - I'd like to read it!

    I feel your pain re: moving. This summer I sorted a ton of stuff in our back rooms so a friend could move in with us for a while. More of it than I wanted ended up in storage because I ran out of sorting time. And we're planning to buy a new house in a little over a year, so I have to get the rest of it sorted and purged, because I do NOT want to move it again. (You'd think a year would be plenty of time, wouldn't you?)

    Your quilling ornaments are beautiful. I'd love to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.