Random Act Of Kindness BLITZ!

A smile. An encouraging word. A thoughtful gesture. Each day people interact with us, help, and make our day a bit brighter and full. This is especially true in the Writing Community

Take a second to think about writers you know, like the critique partner who works with you to improve your manuscript. The writing friend who listens, supports and keeps you strong when times are tough. The author who generously offers council, advice and inspiration when asked.

So many people take the time to make us feel special, don't they? They comment on our blogs, re-tweet our posts, chat with us on forums and wish us Happy Birthday on Facebook.


Kindness ROCKS!


To commemorate the release of their book The Emotion Thesaurus, Becca and Angela at The Bookshelf Muse are hosting a TITANIC Random Act Of Kindness BLITZ. And because I think kindness is contagious, I'm participating too!

In fact, I've got TWO special shout-outs I'd like to give.

Shout-out #1 goes to P.J. Hoover over at Roots in Myth. Not only is P.J. a wonderful writer and hugely interactive in the writing community, but she was one of the very first people to regularly comment on my blog when I started. We quickly found we share an affection for Star Trek, tortoises and myths of all kinds, and we've been friends ever since.

As a new blogger and hopeful author, it was so fun for me to get to know someone on the "inside" and P.J. has been incredibly encouraging and supportive. The world of kidlit is full of amazing and warm-hearted authors, but P.J. in particular continues to inspire me with her generosity and general fabulousness.

(Plus she recently sold TWO BOOKS TO TOR!!! *happy dance*)

P.J, you rock and as my RAOK gift to you, I'm sending you the delightful ARCs, Of Poseidon and Monstrous Beauty, two very different takes on the mermaid myth!

Shout-out #2 goes to Charley R. at The Leaning Tower of Plot. Here are three things you need to know about Charley.

1. She is hilarious. Truly. Her blog makes me giggle every time.

2. She's commented on pretty much every blog post I've put up since we became friends. Those of you who blog, you know how much regular commenters mean. Often it's very easy to just read a post and move on without commenting. (I am terrible at comments myself.) Charley makes that extra effort. Someday I hope to be as good an online friend as she is.

3. She's British AND goes to boarding school, which not only makes her 67% cooler than me, it also means she's 83% more likely to get sucked into a fantastic, magical world someday.

Charley, if that ever happens, come back and tell me, okay? And as my RAOK gift to you, I'm sending you a signed copy of the The Near Witch, because it has moors in it. *grin* (along with the book you won a few weeks ago, which I've been holding so I could send everything at once.)

If you have a minute, please stop in to say hi to P.J. and Charley and tell them how awesome they are. And if you have someone special that you'd like to randomly acknowledge, don't be shy--come join us and celebrate! Send them an email, give them a shout out, or show your appreciation in another way. Kindness makes the world go round. 

Becca and Angela have a special RAOK gift waiting for YOU as well, so hop on over to The Bookshelf Muse to pick it up.

Have you ever participated in or been the recipient of a Random Act Of Kindness?  Let me know in the comments!

52 comments:

  1. Testing, testing... *shakes comment system*

    ReplyDelete
  2.  You're right, we need more kindness, lovely post!  Also: test test :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3.  You're right, we need more kindness, lovely post!  Also: test test :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome choices. I love PJ's blog. So excited for her new book deals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Miriam! You are completely made of all things awesome (which sounds like it needs to be a nursery rhyme*) and I really appreciate it!

    *but what rhymes with awesome? It's a hard one...

    Smiles and Possum and all things awesome,
    that's what Miriam is made of.

    hmmmm...

    Flowers and Blossoms and all things awesome,
    that's also what Miriam is made of.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to P.J. and Charley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to have people like that in our lives. Looking forward to reading all the blogs today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thine commentses are back! :D 
    Though I think I said everything in my email .... *hugs you anyway*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices! And this post made my day, because I hadn't heard about her sales to TOR! OMG, that is so exciting--I am so happy for her. She deserves it!

    Thanks for doing this with us! You rock!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I KNOW RIGHT? I totally screamed when I saw her deal. 

    And thanks for hosting this! It's wonderful to see so many people doing random acts of kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your email made me giggle SO MUCH. It made all the other emails in my inbox jealous, I think. :)
     
    *hugs back*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I'm hoping to get through them this evening after I do much packing and whatnot. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahahaha.  Thanks!

    I could totally see myself as being made of opossums. Especially since I play dead when I'm stressed...  

    Send me your addy, and I'll  get the package mailed this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! *jumps up and down*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol, thanks Irene! And more kindness! More kindness EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the ROAK idea is wonderful! Off to visit your stars of the day. A Brit! Yeah! 

    Have a great week. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, thanks! And they are quite awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miriam, you are blessed to have such buddies like P.J. and Charley. I also truly value those who make the effort to leave a comment. Congrats P.J. & Charley.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not 1 but 2, you are awesomesauce Miriam :) Congrats to PJ and Charley, it sounds like you are both excellent friends and deserving of many acts of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's so much kindness in the writers community! I'm going to check out PJ's blog (and yours LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  21. New follower waving. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Can't wait to hop over and meet your RAOK shout outs. BTW - I show up as my email lsrtorrance, but my true identity is Leslie Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My Spooky get presentses! Yay!
    (In case I have been confusing you with my various mentions of Spook in your comment any - which I doubt since you've been following her own blog for a while - I've been calling Charley "Spook" for so many years before she started using her own name that I've given up trying to remember to use Charley. So she is variously Spook, Spookybeast, or the Spookster. Or John Watson. It's a long story. But she is MINE! Do not think you can bribe her to become your minion with mere books...muah ha ha.)
    Sorry, it's midnight and I'm sleep-deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy to have found your blog through the RAOK Blitz. And P.J. and Charley, too. I can't wait to check out their blogs next. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww, I wouldn't dream of stealing her. I might steal you BOTH at some point though. You two and Abby... *ponders possible bribes*

    I actually remember when she was Spook. She changed to Charley right after I started following her, which made me really confuzzled.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Leslie! Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm really enjoying meeting so many new awesome people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is one of my favorite things about the writing community! And welcome to the blog. Feel free to poke around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are indeed. And thank you! Welcome to my little space, I'm glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am extremely blessed. Charley and P.J. are only two of the awesome  blog followers and online friends I have. If I wanted too, I could fill a whole post with names. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Welcome Cynthia! I'm so glad you're here! 

    ReplyDelete
  30. I aspire to be like As good a friend as both Charley and P.J. have been to you. I already know how great P.J. is, but I need to go meet Charley . . . Especially if she gets sucked into that magical world!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the RAK thing they've started! And, I agree, PJ is one of the friendliest writers on the interwebz. :) 

    Thanks for spreading kindness. (and, to me, a lot of kindness is about gratitude and appreciating those who are kind.) <3

    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can imagine it would! I used to be Delorfinde all over the internet. My URL still is, and my Twitter username, but I tend to call myself Miriam. I remember when I changed my Tumblr URL and confused ALL my followers, ha ha :D
    But now I just get confused when people talk about you in the comments of Charley's blog. TOO MANY MIRIAMS.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The writing community is FABULOUS! And it's awesome that we're given a chance to recognize the people that help us out. Also, thanks for dropping by my RAOK post yesterday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Omg, I totally didn't' realize you and Delorofinde were the same person!  I was wondering what happened to her... :)

    And I say MORE MIRIAMS. MORE MIRIAMS EVERYWHERE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great RAOKs! I love the name of you blog. Can't wait to explore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lol, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she does. And I aspire to be as cool as they are too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yay for gratitude! That's part of the great circle of kindness and awesome, I think. It's so cool when we manage to keep it going for at least a little while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're very welcome! Also, I have a sister who spells her name just the way you do. Makes me happy to see it other places too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks so much Dana, and welcome! I hope you enjoy it. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  40. Brandi Daniels119May 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

    I always love to receive books. Those are great ROAK gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Books are pretty awesome, aren't they? Every now and then I take a poll on what people like to win and they always say "books" or "gift cards with which to buy books." Lol. 

    ReplyDelete
  42. WOW, the Roots in Myth caught my attention! I will be sure and check these two out. Hope you had an amazing RAOK week.

    ReplyDelete
  43. They're both fabulous blogs, and PJ does a lot of awesome book giveaways and stuff too. Thanks for stopping by! 

    ReplyDelete
  44. HA HA HA HA HA! Seriously? That's hilarious :D You didn't notice how on Twitter my username is 'delorfinde' but I'm Miriam Joy, or my blog URL is 'delorfinde' when I post as Miriam Joy?

    (See, this is all a lie. I'm actually a completely different person, who ATE Delorfinde and then went around commenting in her place.)

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's been a great week, hasn't it? RAOK is a fabulous idea!  Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  46. You're very welcome! And I love RAOK week. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'VE BEEN BUSY MIRIAM. All that plotting and editing and such, I have no time to NOTICE things! Especially not real life things, lol. 

    Actually I'm just supremely unobservant by nature. And I totally believe you would eat some poor commenter just to take over her place. *narrows eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  48. Yeah. She didn't taste very nice, though - too much muscle. But fortunately she doesn't have all that much hair. It tends to stick in your throat when it's long.

    Also, Real Life? Hehe, is that, like, still a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow!  I'm inspired AND energized from just one post!  From yet another recipient of your RAOK....Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yay! I'm so glad you stopped by, and I'm super happy RAOK is continuing to reach people. Welcome! 

    ReplyDelete
  51. Miriam, you are blessed to have such buddies like P.J. and Charley. I also truly value those who make the effort to leave a comment. Congrats P.J. & Charley.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.