Adventures in line edits, part 1: The story so far...

It's that time again! Time for me to blabber on and on and on about editing until someone tells me to shut-the-heck-up-already.

(I can tell you're excited.)



It's been a while since I've done an editing post and so I thought I'd start with a quick recap of where we left off.

When we last left our heroine, she had spent months in the trenches of her first big-picture edit. She had rewritten the ending, cut out characters, tightened the plot and basically worked herself into a puddle.

But it was done. She hit send.  And waited.

For LINE EDITS.


found at careforcass.tumblr.com

*cue DU-DU-DUUUM music* 

(Also, for those of you who are fuzzy on the different stages of editing, I've made you a handy guide here.)

The line edits were actually two rounds of edits. The first one dealt with minor plot points and character issues that still needed to be worked out, kind of like a concept edit, except I didn't have to tear apart the book again. (Mostly)

The second one was very much a line-by-line edit, where we looked at smoothing out the paragraphs, making sure the language flowed and made any other last minute tweaks we thought were necessary.

Both those stages were hard for me for different reasons, which I'll talk about later. But in the meantime... do you guys have any specific questions about editing?  Anything you want me to be sure and talk about in the next few posts?

Ask away!

EDIT:  Thanks so much for the good luck wishes, but I'm actually all the way done with copyedits now! But if you want to wish me good luck on writing the sequel, I will take all the positive vibes I can get. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.