Win a copy of What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen!

Sometimes the universe (Or God, or fate or whatever) sends you a gift. Something you need at the exact moment you need it.  It's almost eerie, really.



Remember on Monday when I told you I was thinking deep thoughts about identity? And how I had a character who was asking those same things?  Well the same day I wrote that blog post, I picked up a new book.

It happened to be a book about identity. About figuring out who you are when all the things that defined you disappear.

It was this book.



Goodreads blurb:

Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. 
But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

Holy cow.

I was expecting to love it. It IS Sarah Dessen after all, and I've been a fan of hers since I first read The Truth about Forever. I'm almost positive I've read all her books and I know I enjoyed every one.

I was still blown away.

She had me hooked by page ten. (Probably earlier, but page ten is where I stopped and thought I am completely hooked by this book and it's only been a few minutes. How did she DO that? Then I leafed back through trying to analyze what she did.) Not only was I swept into the story and rooting for the main character, but it was awesome to see a writer take the questions I've been juggling and handle them so deftly.

Anyway, the book was so good that I decided to give it away. So here's how it's going to work.

Between now and midnight, March 14th, anyone who comments on this blog post OR or my Facebook page will be entered to win. You can get extra entries by tweeting or Facebooking about the contest. International entries are welcome.

What was the last book you read that felt like a gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.