Beauty standards and cultural norms.

Well the heat wave has finally broken (for now.) and the AC at work is being replaced! *happy dance of joy*

And now that my neutrons are firing again, I can deliver on the something interesting that I promised last time.

Here it is: How to trick people into thinking you're really good looking. (warning, language and content)




The really interesting thing about this video is that, since I work in a coffee shop on a university campus, I get to see a lot of college girls. And what struck me was how similar the girl in the video looks to a lot of my customers. I have never heard our standard of beauty for young women so clearly defined.

Bleached hair + tan + heavy eye makeup +fake eyelashes = cultural norm.

At least half my regular college-girl customers look EXACTLY like that. And it got me thinking.

What are some other standards of beauty in the U.S? And are these standards common in places like Canada and Australia?

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. In some areas of Australia, yes (I'm looking at you, Gold Coast) but in other places, no. I think this is probably more likely in the less urban parts of Oz. I'm in Melbourne at the moment, and everyone is stupidly stylish (and different).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's really interesting. Like you, most of the girls I see from high school age through their early twenties look like the girl in the video. I find the whole thing kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the funniest and brutally true videos I've seen in a long, long time. I teach 7th graders and have quite a few that work hard to look as much like this standard as possible. The strangest and saddest part of this phenomenon? Survey after survey shows that the majority of men are primarily attracted to brown hair and a natural look. They recently reported on it on NPR - and these are international surveys. Makes no sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm. such an interesting question!

    I do love this video, very clever. Especially crying over her degree. Priceless.

    I would like to imagine that Canada has a different norm. Like natural, outdoorsy, fun, brunette...wait a minute...

    Yeah, okay. I think we have the same sad standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome video. I like it so much! Love your post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.