Why being agented is weird: reason #1

You stop looking for an agent.

I know that sounds obvious, but think about it. If you're anything like me, you spend vast amounts of time and energy learning about the publishing industry in general and agents in specific.

You read agent blogs and follow them on twitter. You look up agents on Literary Rambles and Querytracker. You plan out your elevator pitch, read posts on how to talk to agents at conferences and study interviews to find out what specific ones are looking for.

And you read the Miss Snark archives until your eyes cross.


(Okay maybe that last one was just me.)

You work on your query, constantly rewriting it. You jump at every query workshop you can find. You enter contests because the prize is a critique of your query or--even better--your first few pages. You send stuff to Evil Editor and Query Shark. You read other people's successful queries and dissect them.

You do that for years. 

And then you get an agent. And all of it, that whole crazy, obsessed merry-go-round, just... stops.

No more bookmarking agent profiles.
No more entering contests to win query critiques.
No more taking notes on how to pitch.
No more agent search.

A huge chunk of your writing life has just dropped away. And even though you hated all of that researching and worrying, and even though you are SO grateful and happy (and I am), it still feels... weird. Like a missing tooth.

Once the shock wears off, you realize that this is for real. That you really don't have to do any of that ever again. Now there will be different tests, maybe harder ones. Tests that depend more on your writing. Tests that depend more on you.

It's a frightening thought.

So you try not to think about it. And use your free time to catch up on dishes.


Sort of.

2 comments:

  1.  So true! Now that I have an agent and a publisher, I'm free to WRITE! It's a beautiful kind of freedom (even though I also miss querying in a weird way). I'm with Harper too, with an MG book. I see you just released and I can't wait to read your book. I've been noticing it for months online. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2.  So true! Now that I have an agent and a publisher, I'm free to WRITE! It's a beautiful kind of freedom (even though I also miss querying in a weird way). I'm with Harper too, with an MG book. I see you just released and I can't wait to read your book. I've been noticing it for months online. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.