Not the post I was going to write, but...

I was getting ready to write a nice little post continuing my wrap-up of the "why do you do this" discussion. I was going to give you my reasons for writing, and share some of my deeply held beliefs about the power of stories.

And then it hit me.

That feeling.

You know that feeling. The feeling that screams "You are not qualified! You are failing!" The feeling that sucks all the energy from your muscles and turns your stomach into a knot.

Words evaporate. Your dreams crumble under your fingers like a dried-up sand castle. You feel scraped out, uncreative and hopelessly broken.

That's where I am tonight. Tired, battered and just the tiniest bit angry at the universe. Do I like this feeling? Not in the least.

Am I quitting? Hell no.

I ask myself why I write. And even on days like this, the answer comes back clear and unwavering.

I write because writing brings light into the darkness of the world. Every act of creation, when done with love and compassion, creates ripples that we cannot see or measure.

I write because when I write, I am made better. When someone reads it they are made better (hopefully). It is a small healing but it matters.

I write because the world breaks my heart and words stitch it back up again.

This wasn't the wrap-up I was planning, but there you have it.

That's why I write.

10 comments:

  1. Very true.

    I think that is the only reason that is big enough to explain why we get up and fight that little voice every time.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misha- Don't you hate that voice? *sigh* Once more into the breach...

    Joanne- Yah! I'll do my best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post hurts to read, because I SO know the feeling. But at the same time, it's so uplifting. We writers are a tortured brood. We experience pretty low lows, but at the same time the highest highs, which make it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of better reasons to write. I decide months ago when I had a day like you've had today, the fact I still come back to my writing, says it all. My words and stories are the heart of me. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee- I keep reminding myself that the highs will come back. In the meantime, it's nice to know it's not just me. :)

    Indigo- Hooray! *hugs Indigo back*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Write because us readers love to read your stuff :)Try to have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! Thank you! I took yesterday off and I'm actually feeling much better today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.