How to promote on Twitter (or why I went pink for LIAR SOCIETY)

When it comes to social networking, the best kind of promotions are organic, creative and authentic. As an example, let me present  Lisa and Laura Roecker, authors of The Liar Society.

The Liar Society releases March 1, 2011

This book has an awesome cover story. And a couple of weeks ago--in celebration of their heroine's pink hair--Lisa and Laura  dyed their author picture/Twitter avatar pink.


The response was huge. We all thought it was hilarious. And then other people started photoshopping their hair pink. First it was just a joke between the  Roeckers and some other authors they know. And then Lisa and Laura decided to run with it.  Which is when this showed up in my Twitter feed.




I am always down for supporting debut authors and I thought this was an amazing idea. So I sent them a picture of me, and this is what I got back.


So now I'm pink (at least on Twitter) and I'm not the only one.

The moral of this story? People are always talking about how to use social media for promotion. But the truth is, the best promotions come out of relationships and out of a willingness to have fun. Lisa and Laura could have tweeted about their release hundreds of times, and begged for retweets and I would not have noticed.

But pink hair? I am so in.

What's the best social media promotion you've ever seen?

12 comments:

  1. Yes, those two are creative and clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! We were so worried that people were getting sick of us! But pink hair is fun, right? You look fab, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could say that we planned this, but it's all dumb luck. In fact, if anything we probably did everything in our power to prevent this from happening.

    The first time we caught a glimpse of pink haired Kate we HATED her and fought tooth and nail against the cover. Not smart. No vision. That about sums us up.

    Thanks for the post AND for your support. Can't tell you how much it means to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa and Laura- See though, that's what makes this promotion such a great example. It wasn't something you coldly planned out. You were having fun and being real, and it started on its own.

    But the key word is started. If you hadn't decided to MAKE it intentional, it might not have lasted. Good luck with the release!

    PS. You're very welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little thought and ingenuity to shine that promotion goes a long way. Kudos to Lisa and Laura for their fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing how everyone got the pink hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea! I like it - and you look quite cute in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie- Har. I could see how that could be confusing if you weren't in on the beginning...

    Helen- Why thank you! I can't dye my hair for reals right now because of my job so it was fun to see what I COULD look like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do twitter too much, so I missed why the pink hair. Thanks for this - and I agree LiLo are fab! Such a creative idea! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry- No problem. I like explaining things. :) And I agree, they are quite awesome

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.