Reasons 2011 will rock, part 1

I'm back! I have vacation brain and I'm still waddling from all the ginger cookies I ate last week, but I am back.


Oof! So. Many. Cookies.

I feel like 2011 is going to be an awesome year for a lot of different reasons.  But for today, I just want to tell you about reason number one...

Reason #1: My New Year's Resolution

I only made one resolution this year, and I kind of stumbled onto it. I really wanted to write on the first day of the New Year but I was struggling because everything I'd done the week before had turned out to be crap.

I HATE that. That feeling you get when you work for hours to try to fix something in a story and you read it the next day and realize you made it worse. Yeah. Not my favorite thing.

I was terrified of it happening again. I got ready to go write, and then dithered at my computer for about two hours, getting more and more nervous and angsty.


Finally I made myself walk out the door. And when I did, I tweeted this:


And guess what? I wrote good words that day . Not earth-shattering, world-changing stuff, but when I fixed something it stayed fixed and I was able to move forward on the project.

I also found my New Year's Resolution.


Just Show Up.


That's it. That's what I'm telling myself this year.

Just show up. Don't worry about the state of publishing or whether I'm going to be able to lose my holiday weight gain. Don't obsess about my job or the economy or whether I'm ever going to be as good a writer as I want to be. Just show up.

Show up to the keyboard, the bicycle, the day job. Show up, knowing there will be good days and bad days, that it won't always be easy, that sometimes crap happens that's out of my control. Show up, understanding that once I've done my best, the rest is up to someone else. I can let it go, move on, and show up in the next place that I'm supposed to be.

The truth is, I have absolutely no idea what 2011 is going to hold. But whether it turns out to be a good year or a bad year, I would like the record to show that I did my part.

I showed up.
__________

Did you make a resolution this year? If so, leave it in the comments section!

9 comments:

  1. That's a great resolution, Miriam! I hope this year is an awesome one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words, wise words. It's a resolution that I think can actually stick, because it's so simple.

    Good luck, and here's to a ROCKIN' 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy- Thanks! I hope it's an awesome one for you too. :)

    Renee- That's what I was thinking too. Simple= doable. (maybe) *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like your thinking. "Just show up." Man, is that true about everything! Such words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm....the inspiration fairy hit us at the same time! My tip from the tops today was 'show up'. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm writing a book this year. I don't care if it takes all year to do it. I don't care if it is an utter piece of scat when I'm done with it. I'm just doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darby- Works on all levels, doesn't it? Perfect resolution... :)

    Jan- Bwahaha!! That's awesome. You know what they say about great minds! *grin*

    Nic- Go you! I approve of that goal. If I can show up to write crap, you can show up to write crap. And it does get better, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great resolution. I love it. I don't usually make writer resolutions but I'm making a few this year. Finish the revisions on my manuscript and my query and hopefully start a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sound awesome, Natalie! I'm a big fan of new projects. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.