Some songs to fight the writerly blues

It's the dreaded Week Two over here in NaNoWriMo land!

Week Two is when all the mental crap we writers use to self-sabotage ourselves goes into high gear. For most first-drafters, this period is usually about a one-fourth to one-third of the way through the book

Obstacles this week include:

~ The Great Wall of Writer's Block

~ The Anthill of Too Many Characters

~ The Impassable Desert of Word Drought

~ The Cave of Lost Plots

~ The Evil Dragon of Word Count Comparison

~ The Many-Headed Hydra of the Inner Editor

~ The Siren Song of the Shiny New Idea

~ The Choking Fog of "People Who Are Better Writers Then You Will Ever Ever Be"

 And my personal favorite?
~ The Quicksand of "Everything I just wrote was crap and now I have to kill myself with the toaster"
___________

So in the spirit of encouragement, I'm handing you some songs that always make me feel like I can do it.

Hallelujah by Claire Bradley

Learning to Fly by Tom Petty

Breathe/Shine by Anna Nalick (the video plays them back to back.)

Here's a bit from the chorus of Shine.
Isn't it time you got over
How fragile you are?
We're all waiting, waiting on your supernova
Cause that's who you are.
And you've only begun to shine.
Anyone else got songs or movies or inspiration to share? How do you get through these obstacles?

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one eying off the toaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Impassable Desert of Word Drought." That sounds familiar. I mean, how many ways are there to say that a person looked at another person? Some of my characters seem to be the type who say more with looks than they do with words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jade- It's so tempting isn't it? I've also been eying the kettle. Sigh...

    Elisabeth- I know exactly what you mean. My characters right now are all about the looking and the eyes and the glances. Very visual people, my characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really had me at "The Siren Song of the Shiny New Idea."
    That one gets me every time!
    Nice to meet you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia- Nice to meet you too! I'm glad I'm not the only one with Siren Problems. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.