First draft tip #3: Work through the crazies.

This is the Mountain of Crazy. 


I'm tired.
This is hard.
My brain hurts.
This is impossible.
I'd rather be sleeping.
I don't want to do this.
Everything I write sucks.
This is never going to work.
I'm not cut out to be a writer.
I was crazy to think I could do this.
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!


There is no way to avoid slipping on the Mountain of Crazy. The mountain doesn't care how many industry blogs you read, or how many writing books you study or how many conferences you go to. It doesn't care if you're writing your first book or your twenty-first book. You could be an unpublished author or a NYT bestseller. You could be a horrible writer or a genius.

The mountain does not care.

The only thing the mountain knows is slippery green moss, jagged stones, and impossible footing. It takes out everyone sooner or later. And the only way to beat the mountain is to pick yourself up at the bottom and climb back up.

And there's only one way to do that.

Sit down and write.

a word
a sentence.
a paragraph.
a chapter
a book

Sit down and write.

Don't let the mountain beat you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.