I'm back!

How is everyone? I missed you guys. *hugs followers*

Well, my partly-forced unplugging period has been very productive. I'm all rested and ready for National Novel Writing Month.

Maybe.

This year's a bit different for me in terms of support and community. Not only do I have my area's Nano group to write with, I've also joined the NaNoWriMo Warriors group on Facebook. It's a great resource for tip and encouragement, especially if, like me, you're a bit overwhelmed by the actual Nano forums.

But the biggest thing that's different this year is that my dad, who lives in another city, is also doing Nano. And HIS group has challenged MY group to a word war.

So in addition to having more friends to write with, I'm also locked in deadly combat with my father. Kind of like this...



Definitely epic.
_________

For those of you who don't care about November's writing free-for-all, don't worry. I'm not going to bore you with constant word counts or rants.

(Okay, maybe a few rants.)

What I AM going to do in November is talk about writing in general and first drafts in particular. I'll share some first draft tips that have been helpful for me, and also do a series of posts on voice, which is kind of like the unicorn of writing.

More on that later.


In the meantime, here's my First Draft Survival Kit and an adorable picture of an orangutan from zooborns.com
__________

Miriam's First Draft Survival Kit:

Laptop - no check (makes sad face)
Dana -check
Character Book - check

Notebook with...
Blank Three-Act outline -check
Scene List- check
Character List- check
Setting List- check
Story Elements Brainstorming Page- check
Blank pages for notes- check

Pens -check
Coffee- check
Tea (for evening write-ins)- check
To-go mug- check
Ibuprofen- check
Vitamins -check
Popcorn - check

Batteries for Dana- need
Dried cranberries for sekrit eating- need
Energy (not the drink, just energy in general) -need
Chocolate – Heck yes, I need that!



 It's good to be back.
__________


PS. If you are doing National Novel Writing Month, and you're registered on the website, come and be my writing buddy! The username is msforster.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, I forgot to plan for the sekrit eating! Auuuuuuuuugh! It's okay, there's still eleven and a half hours before it starts in my timezone.

    Oh no, there's only eleven and a half hours before it starts in my timezone. Auuuuuuuuugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun and good luck! I'm taking a break from NaNoWriMo this year, but I'll be cheering the rest of you on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see you back online! I'm going to miss Nano AGAIN--and it's due to stupid revision. Again. Some day I will learn to do this better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie- I laughed so hard when I read your comment, I almost choked on my dried cranberries! Mine doesn't start until this evening, but I know how you feel. Good luck!

    Rebecca- Thank you! I could use all the cheering I could get. :)

    Wendy- Omygosh, someone else I know online was doing revisions this month, and was asking if anyone wanted to do a NaNoRevMo. I can hunt her down if you want company. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to do NaNo. Is it because I'm not ready? Or just askEHRD?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly both, Renee. But you should do it ANYWAY!! Come to the dark side! *evil laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on taking the challenge. Met your dad on a writers blog and blame him entirely for my presence on FB (which I abhorred until two weeks ago)! I might try next year but am editing right now and didn't even consider it until a week beforehand. Go team Forster! Your family rocks! Btw, nice layout over here on your blog. Just one question...how do you manage to read so many books? Please tell me that I'm reading that number wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.