All About Mockingjay, part 2: Snippits edition

 Apparently this is Miriam-posts-late Week. Sorry about that....
__________

Hey, you!

Yeah, you. The person who hasn't read Mockingjay yet. Why are you reading this post?

Don't get me wrong. I love that you're here and all, and I would love for you to come back again. Just... not today. Browse the archives, or go explore Garfield Minus Garfield or sign up for the Banned Book Challenge. Anything but reading this Mockingjay post.

Seriously. If you haven't read the book, you shouldn't read this post.

This is my serious face.

Really.


.
.
.
.
.

Okay, so apart from my overall impressions of the book, which you can read here, there are a few points that everyone has opinions about. And everyone has different opinions too, which makes it even more fun. So in the interest of ongoing discussion, here are a few of mine.


1. Did Katniss really vote for another Hunger Games?

No way. I'm absolutely convinced that she only voted for that idea so that President Coin would trust her. Katniss knew what she was going to do, and the voting was just a way for her to get close enough to Coin to do it. I think that Haymitch saw she had a plan and that's why he  voted with her.


2. Who killed the children and Prim, the Capitol or the rebels?

I gotta vote for the rebels on this one. It fits with what I know of  Coin and if Snow knew the bombing was about to happen, he would have gotten out of the palace while everyone was distracted.


3. Are you okay with not knowing which one it was?

Absolutely. I think Katniss not knowing was an important part of the end of the book, and so I'm happy not knowing either. I do think I'm right though. :)


4. Are you okay with not seeing Snow die?

Yep. Don't get me wrong, it would have been satisfying if his death had been more dramatic. But I was way  more concerned about Coin at that point. (When she suggested another Hunger Games, I started yelling NO! at the book.) And I think having Snow's death be kind of ordinary and unimportant, was a good revenge for someone as power-hungry as he was.


5. Gale vs. Peeta

I have to admit, I was torn. All through both of the first two books and the first half of the third one, I just didn't know who I wanted her to end up with. On the one hand, Peeta loved Katniss so much, and called up emotions in her that Gale never really did. On the other hand, I liked Gale better than Peeta because he could take care of himself and he understood Katniss better in some ways.

In the end though, I was glad she didn't go with Gale. Reckless anger and a lust for vengeance are HUGE turn-offs for me. There was just too much darkness in Gale at the end of it all. I think Katniss was drawn to him because he represented her life before the Games, but I don't think she would have been happy with him.


Final Thoughts:

Just one, the one that was running through my head throughout this entire book.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

7 comments:

  1. Miriam, I think you are right about her vote. But it still nags at me that it wasn't absolutely clear that that is what she was doing. To know Katniss, though, of course she wouldn't really vote yes on another hunger games.

    I always wanted her to end up with Peeta because of how their personalities complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I agree with all of your thoughts. I do think, though, if the Katniss hadn't gone to the Hunger Games, she would have ended up with Gale and they would have been really happy together. I don't think he would have been nearly as angry if she hadn't gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your number 1 comment is a great point. I never believed she would have voted for it, and if she did it for that reason, I kinda wish it had been made more clear?
    Very great, Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca- A lot of my friends were rooting for Peeta. And he was a better compliment to Katniss. It just took me so long to decide because I'm a sucker for competent characters like Gale. :)

    Amy- Oo, good point! I think you're probably right, Gale's anger was definitely increased by what happened to Katniss.

    PJ- Thanks! I've heard that from a few people, that they wished it was more clear. For some reason, I didn't ever question it. I wasn't exactly expecting her to shoot Coin, but I assumed she had a plan right from the start. Maybe it was just me, not wanting to believe it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you and PJ. It would have been great if it was clearer why she voted for another game. Also I agree the rebels killed Prim and I think that was probably the end of any chance for Gale. Great discussion Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Natalie! The way that Katniss's uncertainty about Prim's death played into her relationship with Gale was one of my favorite parts of the last book. It made the choice so inevitable and so believable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure why Katniss voted for the games. As much as I like the idea, I really don't think she had a plan to kill Coin at that time. She's always been more of a "seat of your pants" kind of person - making dramatic moves in the heat of the moment. So going in ahead of time to kill Coin just doesn't feel right to me. I think the pieces all just fell into place for her right there at the moment she was to shoot Snow. So - maybe she just voted for the games out of bitterness because of everything she lost, but then later realized she was once again being played (by Coin) and refused to be part of it. Does that make sense?

    I definitely think the rebels killed Prim. In fact, that's the way I read it from the beginning. It just fits so perfectly - acceptable risk and all that.

    I did like the ending with Peeta. I was rooting for Gale for the first 2 books, but in this third one, I realized that Peeta was the one right for her. Had there never been a games, she and Gale probably would have been happy together. But they can never go back to that time - they are both different people now.

    thanks for the great posts Miriam - it been fun to talk about!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.