A song for this summer.

Every now and then, I get a song stuck in my head that seems to embody everything going on in my life right then. It becomes kind of a mascot song, something I hum whenever crazy things happen.

This summer that song was Miniature Disasters by K.T. Tunstall. The bridge (in bold) is my favorite part.

I don't want to be second best
Don't want to stand in line
Don't want to fall behind
Don't want to get caught out
Don't want to do without
And the lesson I must learn
Is that I've got to wait my turn

Looks like I got to be hot and cold
I got to be taught and told
Got to be good as gold
But perfectly honestly
I think it would be good for me
Coz it's a hindrance to my health
If I'm a stranger to myself

Miniature disasters and minor catastrophes
Bring me to my knees
Well I must be my own master
Or a miniature disaster will be
It will be the death of me

I don't have to raise my voice
Don't have to be underhand
Just got to understand
That it's gonna be up and down
It's gonna be lost and found
And I can't take to the sky
Before I like it on the ground

And I need to be patient
And I need to be brave
Need to discover
How I need to behave
And I'll find out the answers
When I know what to ask
But I speak a different language
And everybody's talking too fast 

 
Miniature disasters and minor catastrophes
Bring me to my knees
Well I must be my own master
Or a miniature disaster will be
It will be
I've got to run a little faster
Or a miniature disaster will be
It will be
I need to know I'll last if a little
Miniature disaster hits me
It will be the death of me


Here's a video of the acoustic version:



So that's my song right now. How about you? If you had to pick a song to summarize your life right now, what song would it be?

7 comments:

  1. Love it! The stanza in bold really is the best. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be Jann Arden's Good Mother:
    Good Mother lyrics

    Songwriters: Richards, Jann Arden; Foster, Robert;

    I've got money in my pocket
    I like the color of my hair
    I've got a friend who loves me
    Got a house, I've got a car
    I've got a good mother
    And her voice is what keeps me here

    Feet on ground, heart in hand
    Facing forward be yourself
    I've, I've never wanted anything
    No I've, no I've, I've never wanted anything
    So bad, so bad

    Cardboard masks of all the people I've been
    Thrown out with all the rusted, tangled, dented god damned miseries
    You could say I'm hard to hold
    But if you knew me you'd know
    I've got a good father
    And his strength is what makes me cry

    Feet on ground, heart in hand
    Facing forward be yourself
    I've, I've never wanted anything
    No I've, no I've, I've never wanted anything
    So bad, so bad

    I've got money in my pockets
    I like the color of my hair
    I've got a friend who loves me
    Got a house, I've got a car
    I've got a good mother
    And her voice is what keeps me here

    Feet on ground, heart in hand
    Facing forward be yourself
    Heart in hand, feet on ground
    Facing forward be yourself
    Just be yourself
    Just be yourself

    Feet on ground, heart in hand
    Feet on ground, heart in hand

    Jan Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But I speak a different language
    And everybody's talking too fast"

    I definitely feel like that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, that song is great. Kinda tugs at my heart, but I like it. I definitely think that could be my song at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great song, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura- You're welcome. I was humming that stanza yesterday. It seemed appropriate. :)

    Jan- Ooo! I like this! Thank you for posting it.

    Missed- That is my absolute favorite line in the whole song. I also feel like that. A lot. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renee- Yah! You can join my cool-song club. :) I know what you mean about tugging. It's a kind of a sad song when you think about it.

    Bethany- You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.