Devious Plots, part 6 1/2: Useful plotting resources

 This is part of a six-part series on plot. You can find the other parts here:
~Devious Plots, part 1: If Stephan King doesn't do it, why should I?
~Devious Plots, part 2: What is this "plot" you speak of?
~Devious Plots, part 3: Don't put the toilet in the living room
~Devious Plots, part 4: Plot store!
~Devious Plots, part 5: More plot store!
~Devious Plots, part 6: Plot store, final sale!
__________

Hello, plotting peeps!

I just wanted to wrap up my plot series with some great places to look if you're looking for plotting ideas.  The truly great thing about all these resources is that you can use them either before or after you've written your first draft.  So even if you're a diehard pantser, these ideas can make your rewrites much, much easier.

1. Alexandra Sokoloff

Someday I will write a book titled: Everything I know about Structure, I learned from Alexandra Sokoloff. If you haven't visited her blog, Screenwriting Tricks for Authors, you should. Right now.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Go on. What are you waiting for?
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay, for those of you who don't like getting sidetracked, or are just too busy to go there now, here are a couple of my favorite posts to get you started.

The Index Card method

Why the Three Act structure?

Story Elements Checklist   I swear by this checklist, honestly. Even with all the planning I do, I still run my first drafts through it to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.
__________

 
2. Ghostwoods put up an interesting article about how to write a book in a weekend. If you don't want to read the whole thing, (and you totally should), check out the last third of the post where they talk about the Lester Dent Master Plot Formula.

Clearly the Master Plot Formula is not for everyone, but it has some good points about maintaining suspense, and about writing in general.


3. Finally, many of you commented on the MICE quotient that I talked about. That particular plotting tool is from Orson Scott Card's book, How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. I definitely recommend it.
__________

I think that's everything!  What about you? Do you have any plotting tips or tricks you can share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.