Dawn of the Dreadfuls review!

(Note: I'm in Coeur d'Alene for the weekend and my Internet access is spotty. So if I'm not around as much, that's why.)

As I've mentioned before, the lovely people at Quirk Publishing occasionally send me free books for review purposes. This is the newest one.


My favorite thing about Quirk is that they constantly put out books that make me wonder "Can they really pull this off?" I wondered that with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Jane Austen and zombies? Really?) I wondered that with Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. (It just sounds undoable, doesn't it?)

The other thing about Quirk is that every time I ask that question, they answer "Heck, yeah we can."

And they're usually right. 

__________

With Dawn of the Dreadfuls, I was even more cautious. I'm not as much a fan of Austen spin-offs, prequels and sequels. Even well-done and well-written ones just don't have that Austen flair. (Though I did read an entertaining series of mysteries once  with Elizabeth Bennett as the sleuth.)

Because of that, I expected Dawn of the Dreadfuls to be less awesome than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and in that respect I was right. But I was pleasantly surprised by it overall.

The background of how the average, reasonably respectable Bennett family becomes mighty slayers of the undead, is engaging and well-done. There are plenty of zombies and an unexpected villain or two. The prose isn't Austen, but it stands well alongside the other spinoffs I've read.
__________

Definitely for anyone who liked PP&Z, loves zombies,or ever wanted to see modest, gentle Jane Bennett stab someone with a sword.  4 stars

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read Dawn of the Dreadfuls or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm putting them on my to-read list. Thanks for the review, Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy. No, I'm still not attracted to these books whatsoever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though it's not my genre, I like Quirk's 'tude, unafraid to tackle the undoable. Pushing the envelope the right way often has its rewards. Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura- You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them!

    Karen- I understand. Most of my Austen-ite pals won't touch them with a ten-foot pole. But that's what reviews are for, right? To see if you want to read something. :)

    Joanne- It is a cool attitude, isn't it? Reminds me to continually challenge myself and do something new. (And I had a lovely weekend, thank you. *grin*)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.