A quick update on my 500 project.

As many of you know, I made it a goal this year to write 500 words a day.  (I stole the idea from the awesome superhero duo of Megan and Sam over at the Boise Novel Orchard blog)

I even got specific with the goal. I wanted to write 500 new words a day on my current project, a MG historical fantasy.  And with February coming to a close, I thought it would be fun to see how I'm doing.
_____

Start Date: Jan. 14th, 2010

Total days so far: 41

Word goal: 20,500

Actual words typed: 13,080

Actual days writing: 23
_____

So, as you can see, I haven't achieved consistency yet. Word count-wise, I'm at about a sixty percent success rate.

Do I feel bad? Not at all!

Sixty percent isn't bad for the first month of a new goal. And what doesn't come out in the numbers is that my husband and I were both sick during this time. I also finished an intensive rewrite on my last book, a rewrite that ate my brain for lunch.

Do I want to keep a writing schedule even if things like that come up? Of course. But this idea is all about practice. You practice your writing, and you practice writing consistently as a habit.

After all...


 If I did it right the first time, I wouldn't need the practice!*


How about you?  How are your goals for the New Year holding up?


*photo from zooborns.com

7 comments:

  1. Miriam,
    That is a great attainable goal. I think I'm going to steal it from you. 500 words allows you time to work on other things too. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goals are holding up too! I'm big on itineraries, annual, weekly, anything goes. Rather than a word count, I do have a schedule of where I expect myself to be on certain projects at different times of the year, and I stick to it. Goals are great, they really keep us on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't ever set writing goals. I write when I'm inspired and when I'm not, I don't. Too much else going on in life to force myself to do something I normally love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon- You're welcome. :) It doesn't work out every day, but it's been a good thing to shoot for.

    Joanne- Schedules are great too, and congratulations on staying on track!

    Amy- With everything you have to do, I don't find that surprising at all. I'm always amazed by your productivity. (and a little jealous) *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing awesome on the writing, Miriam! Actually very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After your brilliant post, I made 500 words a day my goal, too. I've been batting about 60%, too. I think it's because you're such a good influence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PJ- Awww! Thanks! Gotta make more books, you know. :)

    Wendy- Hooray! Nice to know I do more than spread the fear of killer rabbits. *giggle*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.