Why you should buy your niece or daughter a Taylor Swift CD

*ducks to avoid rocks thrown by TS-haters*

Okay, so some of her stuff is irritatingly catchy, and I wish she would make more songs like White Horse and fewer songs like You Belong With Me (which is actually a very honest song and pretty much describes me and some other friends of mine and how we related to guys in high school and college but every time I hear it I want to yell "You cannot get a guy to like you by hanging around and being his best friend and waiting for him to come to his senses, guys don't HAVE SENSES and you should just get on with your life!")

But that's another blog post.

At the moment, I am now solidly pro-Taylor Swift for one simple reason.  This song.  (I've highlighted to extra-awesome parts.)

FIFTEEN
from the CD Fearless


You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors
It's the morning of your very first day
You say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while
Try and stay out of everybody's way

It's your freshman year and you're gonna be here
For the next four years in this town
Hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say
"You know, I haven't seen you around before"

'Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
And when you're fifteen, feeling like there's nothing to figure out
Count to ten, take it in
This is life before you know who you're gonna be
Fifteen

You sit in class next to a redhead named Abigail
And soon enough you're best friends
Laughing at the other girls who think they're so cool
We'll be outta here as soon as we can

And then you're on your very first date and he's got a car
And you're feeling like flying
And you're momma's waiting up and you're thinking he's the one
And you're dancing 'round your room when the night ends
When the night ends

'Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
When you're fifteen and your first kiss
Makes your head spin 'round
In your life you'll do things greater than
Dating the boy on the football team
I didn't know it at fifteen

When all you wanted was to be wanted
Wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now

Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday
But I realized some bigger dreams of mine
And Abigail gave everything she had to a boy
Who changed his mind
And we both cried

'Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
And when you're fifteen, don't forget to look before you fall
I've found time can heal most anything
And you just might find who you're supposed to be
I didn't know who I was supposed to be
At fifteen


I don't know about you, but these lyrics really resonated with me.  Sure, I didn't have any kind of boyfriend in high school and my first kiss was a decade past fifteen, but I remember the intensity. Wanting to be noticed, being obsessed with boys, feeling like I knew everything I needed to know about life.

I think Fifteen acknowledges this and counsels patience and caution without being condescending.  Which is a welcome message, especially in the face of the growing "give everything up for a boy, especially if he's Edward" mentality.  I would give a song like this to my niece in a heartbeat. (At least I would if she wasn't two.) 

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree with you. And that she's using music as a vehicle to deliver the message is even better, giving a meaning to the art of music, engaging her listeners on different levels (lyrics and music), and so building an ongoing appreciation for song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great song. And there's nothing wrong with catchy!! Nothing makes me feel better than belting out the song of the moment with the radio!! LOL!

    And you're right...teen guys NEVER notice the tomboy girl next door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard this song before, but I have to say it's pretty good. Fifteen is a rough age. I was definitely like the girl in this song, so dramatic. Ah, youth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lyrics! I don't think I've ever heard this song before, but my fourteen-year-old daughter probably has. I'll ask her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne- Exactly! :) I do think an idea gets so much of a stronger hold when it's through music, don't you?

    Stephanie- Heehee... It's so true about the girls next door! And I've learned from my husband that guys see that kind of scenario totally different from girls. They like surprise, and a bit of mystery at first. I think we should all try to be more mysterious...

    Renee- I was really dramatic at fifteen too, but it didn't FEEL dramatic. I just felt like everything was suddenly super important and life-altering. It was kind of crazy.

    Rebecca- You should ask her! I'm interested to know if she likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's OK, Mirm... your neice's daddy has the album, so I'm sure she'll hear it at some point before she turns fifteen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, great that you posted the words, I've never paid attention to them before. My 13-year-old stepdaughter certainly belts out this song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, Blogger ate my previous comment!

    *tries again*

    Nic- Yah! For some reason I didn't think you were a Taylor Swift fan. Which was silly of me, come to think of it. You pretty much like all good music. :)

    Terry- It's a ridiculously catchy tune, isn't it? And certainly better than singing constant Brittney songs...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.