Song and Story Month

Whoa, how the heck did it get to be Saturday already?

I've decided to do a new thing this December.  Song and Story Month! We're going to celebrate the coolness of words in all forms and maybe get some good gift ideas too.

I'll be  posting reviews of some more new books, and highlighting songs that I think have vivid and interesting lyrics.  Please feel free to chime in with other recommendations or suggestions.

First up is a band called Antigone Rising.  I confess, I bought their CD From the Ground Up mostly because they all have awesome hair.  (Not the worst criteria, I suppose.)  But it rapidly became one of my favorites.

This is a song called What? and it was the theme song for one of the troubled main characters in my project last month.


Lost inside the pattern
of those who'll never matter
speak to you of freedom, rage is getting fatter
Empty as your beer can
crush me you're a mad man
Hanging on to history of hate in your hand


(chorus) What can I say
to pull you from behind?
What can I say
to make you change your mind?


I know what you're thinking
you believe in nothing
Hollow eyes say you're not whole
and you're not bluffing


Now we can't ignore you
now we can't afford to
standing on your chest are those that go before you


(chorus) What can I say
to turn water into wine?
What can I say
to make you change your mind?


(bridge)
Your anger looks so ugly like a handprint in the icing
of one more forgotten birthday 
of the child no one noticed
Lay the belt upon the table
hope for punishment that's better 
than the silence that surrounds you
and the love that never found you


(chorus) What can I say
to leave your hands untied?
What can I say
to turn water into wine?
What can I say
to make you change your mind?



That bridge still gives me shivers!

Do any of you find theme songs for your characters? What are they?

7 comments:

  1. Amy- Huh, I guess it is. Never thought of it that way. But the character I chose it for is a bit scary, so that fits. I promise I'll post a less disturbing song next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. However,(she says, as she thinks through it a bit more) it is an extremely evocative song, which is what I like about it. If the intent was to enflesh those kinds of empty, angry people who don't care about anything, then being creeped out probably means they did it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do theme songs but maybe I should!

    And I've have bought it solely based on their name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PJ- Of course you would have! Sadly enough, I didn't realize what their name meant until after I bought the CD. :)

    I'd never done theme songs before. But I heard a song on the radio that made me think "That's exactly what my main character is thinking." So I decided to find songs for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last book I worked on:
    Suicide Alley by Shawn Colvin
    Sunny Came Home by Shawn Colvin
    and another song by a different singer which, for the life of me, I can't remember the title and can't find on my song list.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you hate it when that happens? I've never heard of Shawn Colvin, but those songs sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.