Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters!

Required FTC Disclaimer: 

I did, in fact, receive this book as a gift from Quirk Publishing.  They saw my review of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and asked if I wanted to review this one.

I believe my exact words were "Heck yes!"

So now you know I'm potentially biased.  But the bias extends only to giving the review its own post.  I believe I would have loved this book anyway.

End of Disclaimer. :)





Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters (Paperback) by Ben H. Winters
Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
Winters, Ben H.

Okay, I'll admit it, I was skeptical.  I mean I loved PP&Z, but part of that was the novelty, and part of it was that zombies are so entertaining in and of themselves.  I had doubts that Quirk could pull the idea off twice.

I was wrong.  Ho boy, was I wrong.

This time, Quirk didn't just throw in monsters, they constructed an entire sub-plot around them. And these aren't just random dead people showing up to eat humans, these sea monsters are smart, angry, and organized. 

My favorite part is when the girls are in Sub Station Beta (an underwater London) and the sea creatures organize an attack to break the dome.  So. Cool.

5 1/2 stars

6 comments:

  1. Wow, now there's a new twist on an old classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I kind of want to read this one. I'm way more into sea monsters than zombies. Might have to pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne- Isn't it? They changed a bit more in this book then they did in PP&Z, but I think it works well.

    Renee- If you're into sea monsters at all, you should give it a try. Nothing like being rescued from a giant octopus to add oomph to meeting your first love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! And yay for you! So which do you recommend more? Zombies or Sea Monsters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter took one look at that book in the bookstore and said, "I will never read this. Never ever ever." Ha. (she's a big Jane Austen fan)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PJ- Thanks! I feel all official book reviewer now. :) I liked Sea Monsters better. It felt more like a complete book in and of itself and less like an Austen book with monsters, if that makes sense.

    Rebecca- Heehee. I have many Austen-ish friends who say the same thing. I love Austen AND these books, but I'm widely known to be strange. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.