Reviews, part 1

The problem with having so many books to review is that it's hard to know where to start.  But since this week IS Random Acts of Publicity Week  I thought I'd start with some more current authors.



Blackthorn Winter (Hardcover) by Kathryn Reiss Blackthorn Winter Reiss, Kathryn

When Juliana's parents separate, Juliana's mother drags them to a tiny English town known for its artists. Juliana is expecting to miss her father and be bored.  What she's not expecting is a murder, a cute boy, and clues about her own mysterious past.

I liked this book a lot.  The writing was good and the descriptions were vivid and well done.  The only problem I had with it was that the three main storylines--murder, separated parents, mysterious past--all seemed to fight for supremacy.  It was a little distracting.  Still, if you want an entertaining mystery and you love the English countryside, you'll probably like this book. 3 stars.



Wildwood Dancing (Hardcover) by Juliet Marillier Wildwood Dancing Marillier, Juliet

I'm not sure what I liked about this book more, the smooth, descriptive writing or the inventive mix of fairy tales.  This book is Twelve Dancing Princess + The Frog Prince+ vampires + fairies with a generous seasoning of Romanian history and myth.  Around every corner is a different fable, like an old friend, but somehow it all seems new and fresh.

The main character, Jena, is a determined, wonderfully human girl who is trying to hold her family and land together when their father must leave.  She's stubborn and she makes mistakes but I loved her anyway, and the bonds between her and her sisters are some of the best parts of the book.  5 stars

PS-Also, the cover for this book was done by Kinuko Y. Craft. She's one of my favorite artists, as you can tell by the art scattered over this blog. :)


Devilish (Hardcover) by Maureen Johnson Devilish Johnson, Maureen*

 I started following Maureen on Twitter and she was hilarious, so I figured I should read her books. Devilish is my first one, but it won't be my last.

When your best friend sells her soul for popularity, how far will you go to save her?  High school outcasts, demons and a cute dead guy, all written in a funny, engaging way.  A definite recommend.  4 stars


Has anyone else read these books?  What did you think?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews. I haven't heard of these books so it's great to get your opinion on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of them...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I'm reading Devilish RIGHT NOW! I'm a little more than half way through. I love the voice of the MC and how there's a mix of skepticism and real religiousness mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy- You should definitly check out Wildwood Dancing, I think you'd really like it. (If you like fairy tales, that is...)

    PJ- But you should! :)

    Beth. I know! I saw you Twitter when you started it, which was a few days after I started it. It made me laugh. Great minds, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of them, though I'm tempted to read Devilish.
    Hope you get your books, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PJ- I got them yesterday! SO EXCITED!!! My husband looked at the cover for "Life in the Pit" and said; "Now I really want to go play music..." :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.