I heart Amelia Peabody!

Wow, thanks to all the people who de-lurked to share their books with us!  I hope you guys enjoyed seeing what everyone was reading.

And speaking of reading...  I recently re-discovered the Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters.  I'd read the first one a long time ago, but didn't remember any of the others. (if I read them at all...)   I started at the beginning again and I  DEVOURED THEM.  

Mmm...  delicious books....

Also--for you writers out there--Elizabeth Peters is a fabulous example of what research can do for a book, especially for historical fiction.  EP's real name is Barbara Mertz and she has a Ph.D. in Egyptology, so everything about the world of her books rings true. You don't need a PhD to do this, but you do have to be willing to put in the work.


For all you fellow fans of mystery, Egypt, archeology and the movie The Mummy,  here's a run down of the series as far as I've gotten.



Crocodile on the Sandbank Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1)


(This is obviously not a new-read for me.  But since it starts the series, I thought I'd throw it in.)

19th century English spinster Amelia Peabody is left a fortune by her father, and decides to explore the world.  Determined never to marry, and possessed of a fierce efficiency and a determined mind, she travels to Egypt.  There she picks up a disgraced heiress named Evelyn , hiring her as an assistant. 

Amelia and Evelyn travel down the Nile, where Amelia falls in love with the pyramids, meets a bellowing, stubborn archeologist named Radcliffe Emerson. and tracks down a mummy with a bad habit of taking midnight strolls.   4 stars


The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) by Elizabeth Peters The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)

Amelia and her husband Emerson (also known as the Father of Curses) return to Egypt to discover if there's any truth to the rumors of a cursed tomb.  Murder, mayhem and plenty of hitting people with parasols.  4 stars


The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3) by Elizabeth Peters The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)

This time, the Emersons are stuck with a really awful set of run-down pyramids to explore.  But they won't be bored.  Not with their scarily intelligent son Ramses, some crazy missionaries, and of course, a few dead bodies just to spice things up.  4 stars

Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody, #4) by Elizabeth Peters Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody, #4)

Amelia Peabody Emerson is convinced that there is a Master Criminal behind much of Egypt's underground antiquities trade, and she is determined to sniff him out.  The good news is: she's right, and his name is Sethos.  The bad new? Sethos is equally eager to get his hands on Amelia.  And not for the reasons you'd think...  4 stars


The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5) by Elizabeth Peters The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)

This one takes place in England, where Amelia must deal with spoiled children, a pair of scoop-happy, competing reporters, and a weird series of deaths connected to the museum.  Fortunately, Amelia has her parasol.  (And corsets can be surprisingly useful too!)  4 stars

The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6) by Elizabeth Peters The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6)

As if the Emersons' life wasn't chaotic enough, now things are about to get REALLY complicated.  A mysterious map, a missing archeologist and a lost civilization lead to some surprising results.  Including a new addition to the family: the orphaned girl Nerfret.  3 stars


The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog (Amelia Peabody, #7) by Elizabeth Peters The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog (Amelia Peabody, #7)

Amelia is excited to return to Egypt, especially because she hopes to re-kindle the romance with her husband Emerson.  But then Emerson is kidnapped, and loses all memory of Amelia and their family.  Things look bleak, but Amelia Peabody Emerson has never given up without a fight, and she's not about to start now. 4 stars
_____________

And if one interesting Elizabeth Peters heroine isn't enough, how about two?

Meet Jacqueline Kirby, a librarian with a no-nonsense attitude, a very large purse, and a knack for getting into trouble.  I first met her in The Murders of Richard III, (which is an awesome book, btw) but I didn't realize until this year that there were more books. 

Yah!


The Seventh Sinner (Mass Market Paperback) by Elizabeth Peters The Seventh Sinner

This is the first Jacqueline Kirby novel, and is actually told from the perspective of Jean Suttman, a student studying in Rome.  When one of Jean's fellow students is murdered and strange accidents start to happen, it's up to the practical  Jacqueline to put a stop to it before someone close to Jean can silence her for good. 3 stars

Naked Once More (Mass Market Paperback) by Elizabeth Peters Naked Once More

Now a best-selling romance author, Jacqueline Kirby is getting tired of the publishing business. But then she's offered the chance to write the sequel to Naked in the Ice, a brilliant  book whose author- Kathleen Darcy-met a mysterious end.

Jackie jumps at the chance, but it's not going to be easy.  Because someone wanted Kathleen out of the way.  Because books are hard to write, even if they're your own.  And because Kathleen may not be dead after all.... 3 stars


Well that's all the Elizabeth Peters I have for now.  (Though there are two or three waiting in my library pile downstairs.)  Join me on Saturday for blog awards and some Agatha Christie!

12 comments:

  1. My best friend LOVES Elizabeth Peters and read all her books. She was always carrying them around during high school--she wanted to be an archaeologist and went on to get a degree in college :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any of them, but now I feel like it! I love Egyptian stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I can see I'm going to fall into a hole of Elizabeth Peters books and be stuck there until I read them all. And how, may I ask you, am I supposed to finish writing a WIP that takes place in rural NC when I'm reading about Egypt, hmmm?

    Did you ever read the Christian Jacq books based on Pharoah Ramses II? They're very good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "dig" the Peabody series too. Though, the espionage angles during the war were a little out of place.

    Amy: I seem to remember reading that there is a small town in NC called Frying Pan. If so then the story would be, a young woman leaves her small home town, Frying Pan, NC, and gets in trouble and lands in the fire..... sorry the pun was too good to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy- I can completely see those books inspiring a love of archeology. I think it's the whole "expert" touch. EP clearly loves Egypt and so we do too.

    PJ- If you like Egyptian stuff and mysteries, you should definitely check them out. :)

    Amy- Ummm... I have no idea. :) Maybe somthing random will spark and you'll get new ideas for your current book?

    Marty- See, I haven't gotten that far yet! Also, I shield myself from your awful pun. *puts up pun-shield* *pun bounces off harmlessly*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Peabody books, but I've never read the Jacqueline Kirby stories. Alas, my library does not have them. Trip to the bookstore in my future ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Wow, lots of good EP books to read! I haven't yet, but now, must!

    ReplyDelete
  8. W- Hooray for Amelia! For the Kirby books, I highly recommend you start with The Seventh Sinner and The Murders of Richard The III. They were my favorites.

    Sylvia- You're welcome! Be warned, though. They will suck you in, and there are at least 10 of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miriam - There are 18 EP books see http://www.ameliapeabody.com/bookshelf.htm for a list.

    I have to go back and reread the first few and I also missed a couple in the middle. I have number 17, The Serpent on the Crown to read yet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marty--that was terrible. Really, really terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 18 books!! Really!!! I don't know whether to cheer or hide :) Could be worse though. Could be Robert Jordan...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 18 Robert Jordan Books --- oh the horror!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.