The first thing I ever got paid to write

Okay, so this has very little to do with books, or Banned Book Week, but I thought you might enjoy it.

About six weeks ago, I got a call from a friend of mine who lives in Boise. He owns a small business that does videography for  weddings, commercials, etc, and  he wanted to know if I would take a look at a script for him.

I pointed out that I hadn't written a script since high school.

He said that was fine, he just wanted to me to make it flow well and get the point across.

I made a non-committal noise and suppressed the urge to point out AGAIN that I hadn't written a script for YEARS and it might not be very good.

He said he'd pay me.

Confidence is not my strong suit, but I'm not stupid.  Of course, I said yes.

The really funny part of all this?

It's a informational video for a hospital gown.

I'll allow you your moment of laughter (although the gown is pretty cool.)  Also, the part at the end with the half-naked guy in the hallway was totally my idea.

I take my brags where I can get them.

The script rewrite worked out, and now I'm writing another one for the company from scratch.  It's fun, and fabulous practice in thinking visually.

And that's how I got my first writer-ly paycheck.


Now go read a banned book. :)

11 comments:

  1. Congrats to you! Opportunity knocked and as a true wordsmith, you answered. Very cool, Miriam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You buy the next bag of Reese's pieces!! :) Congrats for your first big pay check. May it be the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! :)

    And hey, a gig's a gig. I think that's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video is nice & I loved the guy at the end. He added a touch of fun.

    Congratulations on the pay for your work. What script are you writing now?

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne- Yah! They say opportunity knocks, but they don't tell you it shows up sometimes in such random ways. :)

    Jes- Thanks!

    Amy- Deal! :) (Come up and have pizza with me and I'll buy YOU a bag of Reese's Pieces.)

    Renee- That's what I was thinking! I love getting money for words, whatever the words are.

    Helen- Thank you! It's a 60 second dentist commercial. Fortunately, the client has a really nice website/blog, so it made the research easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go pro, Miriam! You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. W- Thank you! I'm thinking about framing a copy of the check, just so I can feel cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you can make money out of wrting? No one ever told me that. (:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sylvia- Only if you sell your creative soul to feed the capitalistic machine. :) (Not really)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.