The reasons that people blog seem to come under three main headings.
1. To establish an online presence
2. To connect with family or friends
3. As a creative outlet.
Many of you also cited the unexpected side benefits of blogging.
1. It's fun
2. You meet new people and create community
3. The discipline of keeping a blog actually helps your focus and can make you a better writer.
Honestly, there's not much I can add to that. But I did want to share with you the blogging advice that's helped me the most.
1. Be consistent. Pick a schedule. Every day, every other day, once a week. Find something you can live with and stick to it. (via a post that I CANNOT FIND at Penny Arcade. *grumps* )
2. Love what you do. Don't try to turn your blog into something it isn't. Nothing kills a blog's spirit faster than an unhappy poster. (via this post by Justine Larbalestier)
3. It's not all about you. Don't just constantly hype your book/business/digestive problems. Be informative, entertaining and genuine. Comment on other's blogs. Be polite. (via pretty much every article on blogging I've ever read.)
Have I missed anything?
In other news, September is overflowing with wonderful reasons to read and talk about books.
~Agent Nathan Bransford declared this week Writer Appreciation Week.
~Tomorrow (Sept 6th) is Read a Book Day!
~Random Acts of Publicity Week is September 7-11th.
~And Banned Book Week is September 26 - October 3rd.
Now add all this together with the fact that I have no less than twenty new books waiting to be reviewed and...
Presto! Book Review Month!
I'll be posting reviews for the rest of the month. Feel free to drop in anytime, make suggestions or join in the conversation.
See you Monday!