Today is Random Tangent day!!

I have a theory. Well, I have many theories, and this is one of them. It goes like this.

The more serious you are about a sport, the sillier your outfit will look.

For example: golf. Golf is a great sport that many people enjoy, and I'm not dismissing that. But golfers (almost) always wear the same thing.

This was brought home to me one day when I drove by a parking lot full of people. There was a big banner reading GOLF SWAP, people browsing tables, etc.

Every person there, EVERY SINGLE PERSON, was wearing a solid color polo shirt, khaki shorts with a belt and a black (or tan) hat. Everyone. It was so surreal that I couldn't stop giggling.

You can substitute black for khaki, or go with slacks instead of shorts. You can even do a visor instead of a hat. But for the most part serious golfers look like this:


(I will say that ladies golf attire is more flexible. But still, most of the golfing ladies I've seen go with the polo/shorts/visor combination.)

I did eventually find out the why behind polos as golf shirts. Apparently, golf courses require you to wear a collared shirt, and button-downs are too restrictive to get a good swing. As the person I was talking to put it "You have to look nice on the golf course."

Who knew?


Do you have any nominations for odd looking sports outfits?

4 comments:

  1. Well, I watched an episode of Star Trek:TNG the other night where Will and his dad battled it out and there were wearing the darned silliest outfits I've even seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... Which episode was that? I should look it up. And I didn't even think of it, but futuristic sci-fi DEFINITELY wins the prize for goofiest recreational outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mens Professial Ice Skating. Thats all I have to say. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, I forgot about Men's Figure Skating! And even speed skating outfits look pretty silly...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.