Reviews and an announcement...

In honor of my fabulous one-year blog-iversary, I'm taking a one week sabbatical. I'll still be popping in to make comments and twitter stuff, but the blog will be temporarily dark until Monday, July 27th.

I'm doing this primarily to give myself the time I need to tweak the blog a little. I want to add a couple of things, make sure everything is up-to-date, rearrange the blog tags and so forth.

HOWEVER. I will leave you with some lovely reading recommendations to sink your teeth into
(All of these books were during the move, so if the review seems a little sketchy, it's because my brain has fogged over that time period.)



Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) McMann, Lisa

Holy. Cow. This is an amazingly well-paced book. I could not put it down. And the plot was full of awesomeness too. A book about a girl who gets sucked into other people's dreams? Sign me up. A tense relationship with a guy she likes, but isn't sure she can trust? Heck yeah. A dead person who pops in occasionally...

Well you'll just have to read the book. :-) 5 stars


A Curse Dark as Gold (Hardcover) by Elizabeth C. Bunce A Curse Dark as Gold Bunce, Elizabeth C.*

This book took me longer than expected to get through. But I think that was more me than the book. The writing in this wonderful Rumpelstiltskin retelling is engaging, the world of pre-industrial mills is utterly plausible and the characters are well-drawn. I think I was just in a mood for something less absorbing, if that makes any sense.

But it is a very good book. The only complaint I had was that the main character refuses to ask for help until a few pages from the end. I wanted to smack her. 4 stars.


We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished S... by Celia Rivenbark We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle Rivenbark, Celia

Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of... by Celia Rivenbark Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom Rivenbark, Celia

I'm going to review these two together. Basically, if Dave Barry and Clairee from the movie Steel Magnolias (played by the incomparable Olympia Dukakis) had a love child, it would be Celia Rivenbark. These books of humorous essays are a hoot.

If you like the South at all, or if you like practical, down-to-earth humor, you should read these. Hilarious. 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe a year has gone by, isn't it? Enjoy your time off, recharge and relax, see you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must read WAKE. Maybe I'll go get it tomorrow.
    Have a great week off!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.