No one ever told me that nothing is ever wasted.

Okay, I'm sure someone told me this. But I didn't believe them. (I wasn't the most open-minded person when I was younger.)

It's true though. A couple of examples:

1. My husband is going back to school to finish his degree. He had three years of college and then took a break to play in a local band. To some people, the three to four years he spent out of college might be considered wasted time. But he's coming back to it with an energy and a focus that he didn't have before.

Because of the things he learned and the growing he did in the last few years, he's happier going back to school then he was the few semesters before he left. (And I'm terribly proud of him, in case you couldn't tell)

2. I'm rewriting my polished book. At least I thought it was polished. And when I started to see the problems I still had to fix I was frustrated.

"This is going to take forever," I thought to myself. "I want to get this manuscript back out to agents. And what if I rewrite it and no one wants it anyway?"

But I buckled down and started. And you know what? I've learned more about writing in the last few weeks than I ever expected. Even if this book doesn't go anywhere, my writing quality has improved immensely. Was it wasted time? Not in the least.


I read somewhere that it takes about 10,000 hours for someone to become a master at their craft. So every hour I write/rewrite is another hour closer to mastery. Even if it doesn't bring an immediate return.

So how about you? Do you have any "wasted time"that turned out to be valuable?

8 comments:

  1. Hopefully my two and a half week vacation which ends tomorrow will cause me to be hugely reinspired!
    Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to your husband for deciding to finish his degree. I guess that, just like writing, sometimes you have to set things aside (a manuscript, college) to come back to them effectively refreshed. But what a nice musical interlude he had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ- Recharging is never wasted time. Especially for a writer and her busy little subconscious! :-)

    Joanne- It was a great time, and something I'm very glad he got to do. The funny thing is he's so excited about getting back into classical music that playing rock/pop makes him antsy. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay to both points! School is tough, but SO worth it, IMO. :)

    Also, I know what you mean about the time on edits. I feel like I'm going through the same thing. And it's so much work! But I know my overall writing skills are getting better. It's exciting, even if its exhausting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a big believer that no writing is ever wasted--it's all practice. That said, I also totally understand the initial desire to throw up when you see how much work you *still* have ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee- It is exciting isn't it? Though I would love to be magically good at writing... :-)

    Beth- I have that feeling every day when I look at the book and go "Oh, crap. I need another two scenes in this chapter!" Sigh. But it's exciting to read the revisions over and see how much better they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son is going back to college, starting in the Fall. I think he's more focused now and willing to put in the time and work. Best of luck to your husband!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen- Thank you! And congratulations to your son too, that's great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.