My favorite thing about writing.

Okay, first a confession. I haven't written anything, or revised anything, for the last two weeks. Moving and starting a new job has drained all of my energy.

(Literally. Yesterday I came home from work at 3:30, fell asleep at 6pm and slept for twelve hours. I'm still tired.)

Also, my needs-to-be-revised stuff is on my computer, which is not set up yet. A year or two ago, this creative lapse would have triggered a panic attack along these lines:

"I haven't written in two weeks! I'm going to lose all these great ideas and I'll never start writing again and even when I do, it's gonna suck! Forever! My writing career is doomed unless I START WRITING RIGHT NOW. AAAHHHH!!!!"

But I've discovered something over the last few years. It's all still up here. It might take a week or two to really get the juices flowing again, but they will. I might forget an idea or two, but chances are they'll come back again in new and better forms.

That's what I like best about writing. You don't ever really lose it.

I think Stephan King said it best:


I never stopped writing. Some of the stuff that came out was tentative and flat but at least it was there. I buried those unhappy, lackluster pages in the bottom drawer of my desk and got on to the next project. Little by little I found the beat again, and after that I found the joy again. I came back to my family with gratitude, and back to my work with relief- I came back to it the way folks come back to a summer cottage after a long winter, checking first to make sure nothing has been broken or stolen during the cold season. Nothing had been. It was all still there, still all whole. Once the pipes were thawed out and the electricity was turned back on, everything worked fine.

It's a comforting thought.

Also comforting is the fact that our internet is up and running, so I can steal my husband's computer and start commenting and replying again. Hoooray!

I've missed you all, as well. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you're in your new place, and I think it's wise not to try to dive into your writing at this stage of the game. Fatigue and distraction don't mix too well with writing, better to wait until you're rested and focused so your efforts are worthwhile. Take it easy, get settled, and enjoy your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! It totally takes me a while to get back in the swing of things. But once there, life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Welcome back to the Internetz! Take your time settling in -- you'll be so excited to get back to your writing when you have a nice chunk of time to devote to it...without feeling like you should be emptying boxes instead.
    miss you!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne- Thank you! It's nice to know other people understand the whole not-writing-while-moving thing. But I think our new place will work out well, once it's not full of boxes!

    PJ- Yeah, I'm looking forward to that stage. Right now I feel like I'm just looking for the swing... :-)

    Amy- I miss you guys too. And I do have a constant need to empty boxes, how did you know? (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha you slept 12 hours and are still tired. I can sleep for 13-16 hours and still be exhausted. Once a few years back i slept from 10pm to 5pm. Thats total of 19 hours of straight sleep. I think thats a personal record lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.