Unfortunately, I have no idea which book it was! :-) So I'm going to pick one and do a special review. But which? It has to be a new-read of course, and a five star, so that narrows it down....
Okay, I've decided.
I picked this book for this blog post for several reasons.
1. She's a debut author. Discovering a debut author with this kind of engaging voice is a rare and delightful pleasure.
2. It's one of the most original fantasies I've read in a long time. Fantasy is a genre I'm very familiar with, and it's hard to be surprised sometimes. This book not only surprised me, it made me long for more Eastern-based fantasies.
3. The cover oozes awesomeness. Look at it, so shiny and pretty. I'm not ashamed to say I put this book on my read-soon list based solely on the cover.
4. Cindy ran a great promotion contest over on her blog. I think that the contest was a fabulous idea, though I am too late for the deadline. New writers, take note!
BUT THE MAIN REASON IS...
5. This is an amazing book. Seriously. I read it in Barnes & Noble and by the end I had my hand clapped over my mouth so I wouldn't scream or whimper or yell. Here is a direct transcript of my thoughts while reading Silver Phoenix.
Ooo... I like the heroine's voice. And her dad is leaving, how sad. Whoa, demons! I like demons, very creepy. Mmm... okay, a quest, a spunky girl, a mysterious boy... very cool monsters. Should I give this a four or a five? I think I give out too many fives. This could be a solid four...
Wait, what's that? A dragon? Where are they going? What? Gods? What? Reincarnated? Wait? What? Oh no! No, don't do that.. Ack! How are they going to get out? What's going to happen now? How is she going to do this? What will happen next? Wait, a wedding? OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG....
Oh. My . Gosh. *looks around at other shoppers to see if anyone has noticed my squeals* Um...yeah, this is definitely a five-star.
So that's my official 100th book! See you Saturday, when I may or may not blog about the new Star Trek movie. (hahaha...)