Some Housekeeping...

Hey everyone, my December post is up in my Life of Books blog!



*sounds of general confusion*


I know, I know, it's January, but I had the dumb thing done, I just kept forgetting to post it. Silly me.

For those of you who don't know, my Life of Books blog is an experiment where I pick a book for every year I've lived. The book has to be published that year, has to be something I've actually read, and has to be meaningful for me in some way. So far I've got nine years up, and plan to update during the last week of every month.

Also, I've put a permanent Book Log post at the top of this page so I can track my books for the year. As you can see, I read four new books this week! And here are some short reviews:

Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce~ I devour all Tamora Pierce, but I must say I had a harder time with this one. Most of the characters seemed unpleasant or grumpy, and I had the weird feeling that I liked the main character more than I was supposed to. There was a lot of emphasis on her flaws, which came closer to telling than most of Ms. Pierce's work.

Still solid work though: 3 stars

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow~ Wow. Just wow. Totally believable characters and a scarily realistic plotline. The book dragged a bit for me in the middle, but every time I put it down, I found myself thinking deep thoughts about people, and how the very things that make us humans, such as our emotions and our ability to solve problems, can be the things that drive us away from humanity. Also how essential compassion and empathy are in order to prevent injustice.

For me, that's the sign of a good book: 4 stars

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock~ I liked this a lot, very well written. It was hard for me to get into the football thing since it came so late in the book, but the relationship with the two main characters was fabulous.

A thoroughly pleasant read: 3 stars

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull~ This has been on my reading list for forever, and when I put it down all I could think was "thank goodness he wrote more". I found myself skimming over some of the description, but the storytelling was amazing.

Definitely 4 stars.

I think that's it. I'll be back with NETM on Saturday. See you then!

5 comments:

  1. That's an honorable review of Little Brother. To read a book that motivates you to think deeply about people and emotions, well it sounds like the author was very effective with his words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot I want to add Little Brother to my 2009 reading list! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne- Yes, the author was very effective with his words. But I can't tell you which techniques he used because I was too busy reading the story. :-)

    PJ- You're welcome! It is definitely worthy of your 50 book challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam, WOW. I LOVE Tamora Pierce. The Alanna the Lioness series made me want to BE a fantastical-secret-woman-warrior. Some of those scenes I'll never forget EVER. Great post, and THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh tell me about it. Actually, I read the earlier series-es again this past year. The great thing is, she just keeps getting better. The Trickster duo and the Beka Cooper series are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.