No one ever told me I'd need a rewards system.

Believe it or not, I've never been one of those writers who rewarded themselves on a regular basis. Not that I have anything against rewards, but I just never thought about it. However, as I get older (eek!) life throws more and more stuff in my way, and rewards start to look pretty good.

Plus, I've begun the great agent quest and need something to keep up my morale as I begin to collect rejections....

And wait for my publishing house to catch up on backlog from The Great Name Change and let me know the exact date that my book is coming out....

And deal with the rising fear that maybe this book that is coming out is actually crap and all the wonderful people who want to read it will be deeply disappointed and no one will ever buy it, and I'll have to crawl under my bed and die....

*shakes self and clears throat*

Sorry, where was I? Oh, yes. Rewards. So here is my new super-duper AgentQuest reward system.

-Form rejection on a query: I get a soda!! I love soda!!

- Rejection on a partial: Make myself an root beer float and treat myself some Zoo Tychoon. (At least the animals love me!)

- Rejection on a full: Waaaaah!!!! Umm.... I mean, pizza and a movie. And quality time with my husband, as he patiently assures me that yes, I am a good writer and no, I'm not wasting my time and my life.

- Rejection with invitation to rewrite and resubmit OR rejection with invitation to submit another project: Go out to dinner at the Olive Garden, which is my secret vice. Mmm... Alfredo dipped breadsticks...

(I just realized that all of these rewards deal with food in one form or another. I wonder if that's because I'm on a diet?)

And through all of this, I will repeat to myself the following:

"It's okay to be insecure and afraid. But you, Miriam, have finished three novels, are having one published, (eventually) and you're getting partial and full requests for another. Those are accomplishments to be proud of. Now get out from under the bed."

6 comments:

  1. Wow, partial and full requests! That is wonderful, you deserve it. It just takes one to connect, so fingers crossed for you. Now, what I'm wondering is, What will the reward be when you get that Agent Call?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to find a reward system (planned ahead) that works for me. When I got my agent, I went out and bought us a nice seafood dinner and wine and I think I even bought some flowers.
    But it seems like if I want a soda, I have a soda.
    And yeah, there is the whole "every single reward comes down to food" thing I struggle with also. I mean I could go get a massage I guess.

    And this totally sounds like me a year ago:
    "And deal with the rising fear that maybe this book that is coming out is actually crap and all the wonderful people who want to read it will be deeply disappointed and no one will ever buy it, and I'll have to crawl under my bed and die...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes...I just wonder why we put ourselves through this! So if food gets you through, use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miriam,
    I love lurking your blog.
    I also am excited that you are getting partials. Morale is spelled with an "e".
    Congrats on all your accomplishments.
    Diane McGarry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne- I don't know. Most of the big rewards I can think of require money, and that is not thick upon the ground. I think having someone believe in my work enough to rep it would be it's own reward.

    PJ- Yeah, I have soda all the time, whether I'm rejected or not. But I don't take form rejections all that seriously, either. I thought about giving myself a day to read and chill at Barnes and Noble, (instead of food) though. And I'm glad someone else knows what it's like under the bed.

    Amy- Well, if I give up now, I'll have regrets, and I hate regrets. They are my mortal enemy. And food always works. I'm kind of like a puppy in that way. :-)

    Diane- Thanks Diane! I'll fix that right up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Rejection on a full: Waaaaah!!!! Umm.... I mean, pizza and a movie."

    Very funny... My reward? I guess indulging in less insecurity and fear, when I actually complete something and do so in a thorough way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.