No one ever told me I'd be addicted to dinosaurs.

So there's an obsession gene in my family. It crops up in odd ways: devotion to certain tv shows, uber-focus on new hobbies, addiction to Starbucks, etc. I never thought it would be a big deal. But I can't deny it anymore, I have a problem...

Hi, my name is Miriam Forster and I'm a Jurassic Park addict.

I bought the movie set on New Year's Eve. I hadn't seen the movies or read the books for years, but in the last twenty days I have:

~Seen the first movie at least seven times
~Seen the second movie at least four times
~Seen the third movie twice.

I have also:

~Read the original book twice.
~ Read the sequel once.

When I started dreaming about dinosaurs constantly last week, I figured it was time to come clean.

Now granted, when I watch movies I might be putting away laundry or cleaning the kitchen, or dinking around with my WIP. But is that any excuse for watching the same movie over and over?

No.

So I need an intervention. Or a new movie. Or something.

However, I did find this wisdom to share with you:

"First there's ooo-ing and aaa-ing. Then later there's running. And screaming."
~Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park, the Lost World


No, seriously, this was what I meant:

"Most kinds of power require a substantial sacrifice by whoever wants the power. There is an apprenticeship, a discipline lasting many years. Whatever kind of power you want. President of the company. Black belt in karate. Spiritual guru. Whatever it is you seek, you have to put in the time, the practice, the effort. You must give up a lot to get it. It has to be very important to you. And once you have attained it, it is your power. It can't be given away: it resides in you. It is literally the result of your discipline."

~ From Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.
(1942-2008)

God bless you, Michael Crichton, wherever you are. We miss you.

11 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on loving these movies (and books). Especially the first movie. It was just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and did you know Jurassic Park was the first movie to feature full-length computer generated animals? They'd never done realistic creatures with a computer before; in fact, they didn't even know they could until this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HECK YES, MIRIAM!!! ME TOO!!!! I've ALWAYS loved them... from when I was a tiny kidlet. LOVED! I was a T-Rex in my kindergarten play, when all the other girls were pastel-winged teradactels... I LOVE Michael Crichton for these books... and I loved the movie, too.

    We are kindred, dinosaur and fairy-loving spirits.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gottawrite! Okay, so was it just me, or were you mad that they put the pterodactyl scene from the first book into the crappy third movie? I loved that part in the book, and they made a pretty good movie scene out of it. But I still have to watch the third movie to see it. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Er...mmm...I've never seen those movies or...ah...read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? The parent of a boy and you haven't watched the definitive dinosaur movie?

    Inconceivable!!! *grins*

    (Although he may be too young... But it's pretty tame compared to nowadays.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh--Xander has seen them! Just not me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE dinosaurs. like calvin in calvin & hobbes. i never outgrew dinos.

    this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tyrannosaurus-Was-Beast-Dinosaur-Poems/dp/0590424912/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232766331&sr=8-6

    was my favorite book at a child. i literally had every single poem memorized. my favorite was ankylosaurus. (i dont think i spelled that right.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy- Hee, hee. That's funny. Yeah, you should watch them with him.

    Moonrat- Yeah, dinosours!! I also never outgrew Calvin and Hobbes. In fact it still ranks as one of my top five favorite comics of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the movies. Especially love the music for the movies. John Williams is the bomb. :)

    Anyway, hi Miriam! I've seen you on Joanne's blog and dropped over to say hi. Actually, I noticed that you are from Boise, and I was like, "Hey!" I'm moving there in two months. How's the writing scene there? lol. I imagine it's not that hoppin', but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Renee! Welcome to the blog.

    What I know about the writing scene in Boise is kind of limited to my own field. That is, I know a lot stuff goes on, but I don't have details. I DO know a lot of writers and can probably dig more information up for you. What do you write?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.