No one ever told me I was solar powered.*

Stupid inversion. Stupid clouds. Stupid cold. Stupid no-show sun.

I'm sitting in front of my UV light all the time, and sleeping an outrageous amount. I struggle with rewriting my current WIP because my mental energy is in the toilet. I'm managing to be peppy at work, (caffeine helps) but my house is slowly dissolving. It feels like eleven at night when it's only five. My appetite is gone and I'm pretty sure I'm getting whatever sickness my husband has.

Sigh.

My one consolation is that zoning is a great time to think about stories. I've been investing some serious dream time into the sequel to my second novel.

I think dream time one of my favorite parts of writing a book. When the ideas are flowing through your head and you can practically feel the texture of the story under your fingers. When there are no rules and no limits. Everything feels deep and true and rich.

I don't know about you, but I have a lot of times where I'm fighting for the right words and everything I write comes out as hard and unappetizing as stale bread. There are days I wonder if I'm ever going to get to where I want to go.

That's when what I saw in my dream time keeps me going. The passion and excitement I built up then comes to my rescue. The end book may never look like what I saw in my head. (There's really no may here. It won't look the same at all.) But it doesn't matter. The core is still there and I'll rewrite until it comes through.

Like the sun will. Eventually. I hope.




*Props to my husband who came up with the phrase "I'm solar powered".

10 comments:

  1. Aw, hope you feel better. And enjoy your time to think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's true, though, right? that misery helps "incubation"? i get all my best ideas when i'm depressed and it's raining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Thanks PJ! I'm doing my best.

    -Hmmm, perhaps you're right, Moonrat. This would explain my recent flirtation with country music. I'm incubating!!!

    -Amy, spoken like a true Boise-ite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh don't we all have those days when every sentence is a struggle? But then, when that story does eventually shine through, well it is like a sunrise breaking through the clouds, isn't it?

    P.S. Thanks Miriam, for your kind thoughts this week, they were so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Country music does go well with incubation! And also woo-hooing. My kids and I have been woo-hooing a lot lately to I LIKE MY CHICKEN FRIED.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, love this photo. Very comforting!!!

    : )

    Hope you are well, Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne- that's it exactly. There was sun today. Hooray!! (And I'm very glad that your daughter is feeling better)

    Anita- Oo, good idea. There are some good woo-hoos in the song BLACK HORSE AND THE CHERRY TREE as well.

    Gottawrite- yes, I'm doing much better, thank you. I'm sure the sun coming out in a cloudless sky today has nothing to do with it. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know EXACTLY what you are going through! I have been feeling very "bleh" lately, and my writing has reflected that. I seriously think it might be the crappy weather. (I am solar powered. I love that! :)

    Here's to getting back on track!

    Oh, and to answer your question from the other post, I write YA. My WiP is Post Apocalyptic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are not alone with being Solar Powered lol! I am as well! It is definitely a different way to look at not handling consecutive cloudy days very well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.