Apologies, books and other stuff.

Okay, so it took me two days to realize that I'd posted my last blog on Tuesday, instead of Wednesday like it was supposed to be.

Oops.

We now return you to your regular programming.

As you can see, the book log is spinning along, with some new books and one re-read one. I'll post a review blog whenever I have four or five new books to share. This might be anywhere from every two weeks to every two months depending on where my reading takes me. Also, I found a new format that I like a lot. Let me know if this works for you.

(Insert momentary yowl of frustration, as the font settings for Blogger turn evil and try to eat my post.)

This is my personal book rating system.

1 star: Didn't finish it. I would try to keep track of the books I start and don't finish, but to be honest I don't care about them enough to give them that much space.

2 stars: Finished it, and probably won't ever read it again. This is a blah-ish rating. Something, plot, character, something pulled me thorough, but not enough to make me want to repeat the experience.

3 stars: Liked it a lot. Solid writing, very enjoyable. Entirely possible I'll read it again.

4 stars: Excellent. I'll most likely read it again and recommend it to my friends. Additionally, I'll look up the author and see if he/she has any more books I want to read.

5 stars: I don't give a lot of these out. These are reserved for the ones that stand out, the ones that keep me up all night or bring me to tears. Or just those books that are so good they leave you feeling sated and better for the reading. The ones I want to read again soon and often.

So there's my rating system. And as luck would have it, we have our first new five-stars this week!


_______________________________________________________________

Alive and Well in Prague, New York (Hardcover) Alive and Well in Prague, New York

~ Okay, so I pretty much picked this up because I like the cover. And I finally read it because the author, Daphne Grab, contributes to one of my favorite blogs, The Longstockings. I was expecting a nice tale about a city girl learning to like the county. What I got was something altogether different. There is nothing cliched, standard or ordinary about this book. I teared up at least three times while reading it, (Mostly at Matisse's interactions with her dad) and can't think of any reason not to give it: 5 stars

Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe) Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe)

~So I knew going into it that this book was going to be funny. What I didn't expect was being sucked (ha!) in so much that I was actually angry when I put the book down. Not angry at the ending. (Which I know and you don't, neener neener.) I was mad because I wanted to read the sequel RIGHT THEN. And there isn't one. In fact the book just came out in 2008. If I didn't know how hard it is to write a book, I would be one of those crazed fans that sends "please write a sequel or I will curl up and die" emails to the author, Pauley Kimberly.
As it is, I'm going to grumble and give this 5 stars.

Playing For Pizza: A Novel (Hardcover) Playing For Pizza: A Novel

~This wasn't really the sort of thing I expect from John Grisham, but I liked it. With not nearly as much introspective angst as his book The Bleachers, this story of American football in Italy is full of good characters and fabulous food. Yeah, don't ever read this book while on a diet: 3 stars

Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (A Meg Langslow Mystery, Book 3) Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos

~This is the third book in this mystery series by Donna Andrews, and if you ask me she really hits her stride with this one. It's pure fun from beginning to end as her main character navigates a Revolutionary war re-creation, solves a murder (murder by flamingo!), placates an outrageous potential mother-in-law, and tries to outwit the Achronisim Police. Definitly 4 stars.

Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star (Book 2) Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star

~Brandon Mull delivered in this sequel. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Especially the frog. Olag the Glutton, I believe he's called. A demon that bites the person that awakes it, then proceeds to eat everything it can get its hands on, growing bigger and more powerful with every meal. And he doesn't stop until he eats the person who woke him up. Not to sound like a ten-year-old boy, but that's so cool. 4 stars

_________________________________________________________________

So there's the new stuff. AND I read Jurassic Park for the second time in two weeks, because I've developed a bit of a temporary dinosaur obsession. Not to mention all the cool chaos theory stuff. I'm not sure why extinct animals, needless deaths and higher math make such a good combination, but there you are.

I got these covers off of Goodreads (which I have decided I love) and if any of you want to friend me or whatever they do over there, I'd love to hear from you.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Daphne and Alive and Well in Prague, NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your rating system. We rate everything here, from 1-10. Books, movies, days, food, conversations, fashion. You name it, it's been rated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ- Oh yes! And I still think the cover is amazing.

    Joanne- Yah for ratings! Goodreads uses a five star system, so I wanted to stick with that, but a book's re-readability is really what sets it apart for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one busy reader... My proverbial hat's off to you! Yaye, Miriam!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.