What's your opinion?

So a friend of mine and I were talking at the writer's conference, and we started wondering why anyone would write at all.

I mean, first you have to actually write something and then you have to rewrite it and then, maybe, if you're lucky, you get a publisher, then you have to market it, which is a whole other thing, and maybe a hundred people buy it and that's it. The only way to grow your audience is to continue to write, which means starting the whole process over. And there are all those days and weeks and years when no one buys anything from you and all your stuff gets nice form rejections which means it didn't get past the intern and you start to wonder if you're a hack.

Why would anyone do this to themselves?

All right my lovely little group of readers, this time I want to hear from you. I know some of you write. Why do you do it?

I'll let you know my opinion on Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Well, lets see here. I do write, but not books that require publishing. So... that makes some of it a little different. I write because I know that is part of my purpose. I have a large sphere of influence and I can affect people for good or bad. It is not a responsibility I take lightly. I do it for my own processing and pleasure and yet it is also a discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to avoid mental constipation. nothing like a good dump. har har har

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.