The life of two artists.

(Warning: this is going to be a slightly sappy post about me and my husband.)


It's official. We are out of food. At this point our refrigerator contains only condiments, such as ketchup and mustard, a couple of apples and way too many onions.

This is because my husband, Dan, and I are both artists--he's a musician and I'm a writer--and our time is pretty much divided between not having enough money to go shopping, and just plain forgetting that we need to buy food. (We are going shopping tonight, by the way.)

I know they say opposites attract, but I love being married to another creative person. There are downsides, like forgetting to clean the house or having tight budgets on some months, but the advantages are enormous. Since we feel the same way about our respective art forms, we're very respectful of each other's dreams.

Right now Dan is the major bill-payer (he drives a school bus and works as a bassist for hire) while I serve coffee part-time and work on my writing. We have a roof over our heads and enough money to buy food and gas for our two old cars. We have second-hand furniture and good air-conditioning. I go to his concerts when I can and he reads all my first drafts. We never tell each other that we're stupid or immature, or that it's time to find a real career. We just keep plugging away at our dreams and encouraging each other.

It's not easy. But it's very worth it.

(I was worried that I ended this too abruptly, but I showed it to Dan and he said it was fine. -grin- )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Click on "Older Posts" for more random amusements!


Fabric art in the header by Carol Riggs.